I have been making and adapting this recipe for a while now and I think that I have finally found my favorite version of it. It is a very reliable, no fail cake recipe that is my go-to for when I need a good chocolate cake. It is perfectly moist and rich and it pairs well with the chocolate buttercream frosting. It is perfect for birthdays and dinner parties. Delicious served at room temperature with ice cream or even served cold.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cups cocoa powder
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup cocoa, depending on how dark you like it
- Preheat oven to 350° F(180° C) and Combine butter and sugar in large mixing bowl and whisk until smooth. Then add buttermilk, and milk. Beat in eggs. Add salt, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda and. Mix in cocoa powder and flour and stir until smooth.
- Line three 8 inch round cake pans with parchment paper, grease and flour. Divide batter amoung them. Bake for about 20-22 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted in center.
- Remove to wire rack to cool for about 15 minutes. Carfully tip pans upside down and drop cakes on wire rack or large plate. Turn cakes right side up and finish cooling.
- For Frosting: Beat butter until smooth. Add milk, salt, and vanilla and beat more. Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time and beat until light and fluffy, Scrape down sides of bowl and add Cocoa and beat for about 5 minutes until very fluffy. you may need to add a few more teaspoons of milk to acheive a light fluffy texture.
- When cakes are cool, use a serrated edge knife to level if needed (this cake does not usually need leveled.) Place one cake on rotating cake stand or chosen tray and cover top with frosting.
- Place second cake on top of this one and repeat frosting. Reapeat with last layer and cover sides with frosting.
This cake can also be baked in a 13x9, a half sheet, or as cupcakes.
This cake is best stored in the fridge. You can let sit at room temperature before serving or it is very good served cold.