Okay, prepare yourselves for a lot of pictures. I tried people. No, I mean it, I really tried. I spent a few hours probably trying to narrow down the pictures of this post but I think I failed. Hey, I got it down to a modest 15 out of…nevermind. Just know that this is only a small fraction of them so you should be grateful, thank you very much. I took way, way, too many.
I’ve had plenty of experience with not getting enough pictures and then having them all turn out to be awful, not fun, so recently I’ve been taking a bazillion pictures for every post and now I’m having the opposite problem. I guess you have to choose your battles so I’m not complaining.
Today feels kind of random but I’m so happy it’s friday. TGIF! Do you guys have fun weekend plans. Well, I’m hoping to be done with baby watch and promoted to auntie. We’ll see.
So, yesterday a bird flew into the house. It was like the cutest little bird I’ve ever seen. We think it was a baby because it could hardly fly and kept bumping into stuff low to the ground. We finally cornered it near an open door and helped it find it’s way outside but I really just wanted to keep it. I jus wanid du geep da baby boid foeva! Pardon the baby talk, I’m practicing.
Now for cake. That was lame. I meant CAKE! Because it’s friday and we get cake so there needs to be some excitement, you with me? Okay, I know Valentine’s day is a little bit far but I’m quickly learning that you have to start early in order to keep up in the food blog world. It can be crazy. Don’t worry, I still have plenty of superbowl stuff coming up still. I just really wanted to share this today.
Triple Layer Vanilla Velvet Valentine Cake is a bit of a tongue twister, isn’t it? Yeah, I felt like Hugo Weaving just saying it out loud. Believe it or not, that was the short version. Well, it goes with the huge amount of pictures I took.
I was about to start selling you on how delicious this cake is but decided not to. I think with 15 pictures and the fact that I spent so much time taking so many, sorting, editing, and finally sharing them with the recipe for you today when I should have saved this post a little longer is sufficient in saying how good I think it is. I just couldn’t wait!
- 5 egg whites
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 6 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temp
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C) and grease 3 8-in cake pans with oil. Pour egg whites into bowl of stand mixer and beat until they form stiff peaks. In separate bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add all other ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Now gently fold in the stiff egg whites to the batter just until evenly combined. Divide batter into pans as evenly as possible. Bake for 25 - 35 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting.
- Beat butter in a large mixing bowl until creamed. Add vanilla, salt, and powdered sugar one cup at a time. Add milk beat until light and fluffy. Add more milk as needed for frosting consistency.
- To assemble, spread frosting on one of the cakes and layer a second on top. Repeat for next cake and place the third layer on top. Frost the top and all the sides with remaining frosting until smooth. I did a very basic frosting job and covered it with fresh flowers but feel free to use pastry bags for edging and decorating.