Okay good, me too. Would those of you who love spice breads please come forward. I’m not trying to brag or anything but this recipe is going to make your day.
I know it isn’t the most common of spice breads. Most people would tend towards using pumpkin before they would think about sweet potato but my guess is that’s just because pumpkin puree is easier to come by. However, for those of us who cook our own pumpkins, sweet potato is actually an easier option and I must say I think I like it better.
This bread is every bit as moist and flavorful as pumpkin bread and I even used all whole wheat flour. It doesn’t necessarily need the icing but, come on, brown butter icing? It just had to happen.
The combination makes this
cake sweet bread one of my favorite recipes this month. And it’s basically health food because, like, it has whole wheat flour and eggs, and sweet potatoes are vegetables right? So yeah, health food. Uh huh.
I told you all yesterday that I’ve been having lighting issues and I am happy to say that I think I have finally found the best spot. It has some challenges but I’m working through them so hopefully I won’t have any repeats of yesterdays horrible pictures. I will just try to sweep that post under the rug until I can do a redo.
You need this bread. Make this for your family to kick off the holidays. Oh, and you’d better make enough to share with friends too. This recipe’s a winner that is sure to beyour new favorite too.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon each of cloves, nutmeg, ginger, and allspice or 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups mashed sweet potato
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1 - 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C) and grease a 5x9-inch loaf pan.
- Whisk together oil, sugar, and eggs in a medium bowl. Add spices, salt, vanilla, and soda. Stir in flour and sweet potato puree.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- While bread is baking make your icing. Melt butter in a small saucepan or skillet and stir constantly until it starts to turn, you guessed it, brown. Remove from heat and cool for about 5 minutes. Add powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla. Add milk a little at a time until you have your desired consistancy.
You can also double this recipe and bake it in a 13x9 pan for serving more people.