You can pretty much add anything to a salad and it still tastes good. Take this salad for example. I just opened the fridge and looked around for what fresh ingredients we had on hand and built on that. Most people have a basic chicken salad recipe that they always use, but I like to change it up every time I make it.
You could, of course, serve this on bread, with crackers, or just eat it by itself. I happened to be making this low-carb so I went with the lettuce wraps as a quick lunch for my dad. It is a pretty idiot proof recipe and it takes about 10 minutes. Perfect for hot summer days and picnics.
- 3 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 2 small red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 large dill pickle, chopped
- 1 cup peanuts, roughly chopped
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 - 2 tablespoons sugar (this is optional and I didn't add it)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, washed and dried (for wraps)
- Combine all ingredients except lettuce in large mixing bowl and stir very well. Spoon onto large lettuce leaves and serve immediately.