Most of the time when beans are added to a recipe like this is to take the place of flour and make it gluten-free. While this is a great idea and I am sure that you could replace the flour in this recipe with GF flour, I am simply trying to find ways to make food more nutritious for some picky kiddos that like white bread way too much. Pizza is always a good place to start because just about every kid out there likes pizza. I may not be able to get them to eat their veggies on it but this is a work in progress. Adding chickpeas to this crust not only adds fiber but it also adds flavor and texture. This crust is thick and soft. Perfect for your favorite toppings. I must admit that for my house this is usually limited to cheese and pepperoni. Boring, right? If I had it my way I would pile it high with veggies and flavors. The most exotic flavor that I can get away with is usually barbecue chicken. Homemade pizza is the BEST no matter what toppings are on it. If you have never tried making pizza at home then you have to. It really isn’t hard.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cup cooked garbanzo beans
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup water at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Combine yeast with sugar and water in a small bowl and stir to dissolve the yeast; set aside for about 5 minutes
- Meanwhile, pulse garbanzo beans with salt and oil in a food processor or blender until smooth. Add yeast mixture and pulse again. Blend in first 2 cups of flour until it starts to form a dough.
- Scrape dough out into a large mixing bowl and add remaining 2 cups of flour. Turn onto lightly floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes. If it sticks to your hands add a little more flour. The dough should be stretchy and resilient.
- Place in a well oiled bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap or towel and leave in warm place to rise until doubled in size.
- At this point you can refrigerate for a later use or bake immediately. To bake, pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F (200 C) and spread dough onto 1 large or 2 small pizza pans and cover with desired toppings. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes before serving or all of your topping will come off when you slice it.