If you read my recent post on homemade peeps you know that I saved the scraps for another recipe. If you knew that, then you also know that my peeps did not turn out as planned and are a slightly different texture than they are supposed to be. I decided to use them for Peeps S’mores Bars, Yum!
The result was a cookie bar with gooey chocolate and a candy crunch. My peeps melted and candied because they were not finished, but if you use regular peeps you should get a nice chewy texture from the marshmallows. If you use homemade marshmallows that are done right, you should have a similar result. The texture of mine is different from a chewy marshmallow, but good in its own way. You can use regular Peeps or homemade. It’s up to you.
For a flavor and texture reminiscent of graham crackers, I used brown sugar and some whole wheat flour in the dough because graham flour is very close to whole wheat flour.
- 3/4 cup(1 1/2 sticks) butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups(200g) milk chocolate chips or chopped milk chocolate
- 3 cups chopped marshmallow peeps, separated (I used the leftovers from my homemade peeps
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C). In a medium mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar together. Add egg, baking powder, salt, and vanilla and beat in. Mix in flours until well combined.
- Spread about 2/3 of the dough in a greased 13x9 inch baking dish. Bake for about 10 minutes until the top stops looking wet. Remove from oven and alternate layering chocolate and half of the peeps. Crumble the remaining 1/3 of dough over top and return to oven for about 10 minutes until edges and top start to brown. Remove again and sprinkle remaining half of peeps over top and return to oven for 1 minute. Remove and let cool.