Okay, before you skeptics read the title and move on with your pinning, tweeting, stumbling, and just general procrastination of life let me tell you how yummy these brownies really are.
I know, black beans and avocados don’t seem like the most obvious choice to curb your sweet tooth and eating them with chocolate seems like pure insanity, but it works. No one will believe that these are actually healthy because you really can’t tell. The black beans give them a tiny hint of flavor that I think tastes similar to mocha and the avocado adds that creaminess without all of the fat.
I must admit that I have been a little obsessed with avocados lately. I seem to be adding them to everything. Or maybe I am just obsessed with trying to make foods that are as nutritious as they are delicious.
I am always in for a little expiramentation when it comes to making healthier food.
These are a guilt free way to get your chocolate fix on when you feel like you could really just sit and eat an entire bar of chocolate.
So basically it’s a win win situation because, um duh, there is chocolate involved. You can feel good about sharing these with friends and family and not feel quite as bad for stashing your own for later where no one will find them.
- 1 medium avocado
- 3 cups cooked black beans, rinsed
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar (I used raw sugar)
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 100g (about 1/2 cup) good quality dark chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine all ingredients except chocolate in food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Grease a 13x9in glass pan and use a rubber spatula to scrape batter into pan.
- Top with chocolate chunks and press into top
- Bake for 35- 45 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before cutting (if you are as impatient as I am than you can skip this step but they will be very soft.)