Hey again, my awesome friends!
Today is a great day for a cozy bowl of oats, am I right? Well I just so happen to have a recipe to share and it’s so easy it’s almost embarrassing.
Life being back in the States after 4 years away has been so many things, but busy is definitely one of them. I’ve been working on some new projects, planning for a trip, acquiring the things I need for that trip, getting excited about the holidays, and loving my gym time. It’s strange how even though the little daily routine things that used to seem so mundane now seem fresh and exciting since they’re still new to me.
My mornings are still probably my favorite part of the day and that always includes coffee and then eventually breakfast once I’ve had time to fully wake up. (Haha, I’ve been a bit coffee-addicted lately with a Kuerig around.) Now that the weather is turning cold I’m finding that my love for starting off with something cool and refreshing is turning to cravings for warm and comforting meals and oatmeal is one of the best! I also start drinking more tea in the Fall and Winter.
It’s strange with my love for berries that I don’t really like fruity or floral teas much. My go-to teas are always something with spice, yes, like chai! Did you know you can add tea to oatmeal too? I discovered this little hack a few years ago when I had a forgotten and cooled-off mug of chai and then remembered seeing someone use it as the liquid in a bowl of oats. Obviously there’s no going wrong with this combo for breaking your fast!
I sometimes like to have this in the evening too, either as dinner (hey, no food discrimination here, oatmeal can be dinner too!) or as a nightcap. It’s so easy and you can top it with so many things. I like to get crazy with my toppings actually and I’m gonna be honest with you, the “real-life” oats behind the scenes never look like this, haha.
I hope you’re enjoying some delicious comfort foods this season and just maybe you’d like to add this to your menu to try.
Tired of boring oats? Start the day with this comforting bowl of extra filling oats with a thick and cream consistency and don't forget to top with all the goods!
- 1 teabag of chai (any brand works, I used Stash tea)
- 1 cup water
- 40g (1/2 cup) old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup milk (I use almond milk)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 -2 tablespoons sweetener of choice, or to taste (honey, maple, agave, or stevia)
- 3 egg whites (about 90g), whisked
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- nut butters
- berries or fruit
- protein bars
- In a small saucepan, heat the water over low heat until simmering and add the teabag. Cover and allow it to steep for at least 5 minutes for best flavor.
- Remove the teabag and add the oats, milk, salt, and cinnamon and cook, stirring gently, for about 5 minutes. Add the egg whites and continue stirring over low heat until the egg whites start to puff a bit and the oats get thick. Remove from heat and stir in sweetener and vanilla.
- Pour into a bowl and top with any desired toppings and enjoy!