I am kind of a veggie-a-holic. I love salads, stir-fries, and basically just vegetables in any form. This is one of my new favorite combos for a salad. I think I prefer cabbage to lettuce for the base of a salad. I love how crisp it is.
So I’m really frustrated with spam right now. I seriously need to set up better filtering but I’ve been too lazy and it hasn’t been much of a problem until all of a sudden I’ve started getting hundreds of spam comments every few hours. What’s that all about? Now I have about 200 spam comments that I have to delete, Yippee. I’m fixing the problem asap or I might go insane.
I’ve told you that I am a movie person, right? Well, if I haven’t then I am now. I am constantly quoting things from my favorites which include some from just about every genre. Anyway, this salad keeps making me think of a line on Nacho Libre. Anyone seen it? It’s so stupid and yet so funny at the same time. The quote I’m talking about is where Pablo is like “How come we can’t ever have just like a salad?”
Every one of the many times people asked me what I was making that was my reply. What can I say, I‘m just a nerd sometimes.
Okay this salad is so simple and so healthy, minus the sugared nuts but who really counts toppings. I through those in just to make sure that it wasn’t too healthy and they only take 5 minutes.
Oh, and the dressing is super easy too. You literally just stir some stuff together and call it good.
This would be great for serving as an appetizer, a side, or just throw on some meat or more eggs and make it a meal.
And by the way people, this is great as a chopped salad too(which is how I ended up deciding to serve it). Sure it looks better for pictures with everything separate and in view, but let’s get real. Everyone in my house likes it better all chopped and mixed together.
- 1/2 head green cabbage, cored and finely shredded
- 1 bunch radishes, washed and thinly sliced
- 2 medium green apples, washed and thinly sliced
- 3 large carrots, shredded
- 6 hard boiled eggs, peeled and cut in half
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For Dressing:
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, honey, mustard, and vinegar; season with salt and pepper. Slowly whisk in oil until emulsified.
- For Candied Walnuts:
- Add all ingredients for nuts to a non-stick pan and place over medium heat. Stir constantly for about five minutes until sugar is completely melted. Pour out onto parchment lined tray or plate and use spatula to seperate nuts before they cool. Set aside and allow to finish cooling.
- To assemble:
- Add cabbage, radishes, apples, and carrots to a large salad bowl and pour dressing over salad. Toss to coat everything then top with walnuts and eggs.