Is it weird that I love having fruit for dinner? I love the tangy sweetness of fruit with savory and salty flavors.
Of course, I’m a fruit and veggie fanatic. Especially berries of any kind. I’m obsessed. In fact, if I didn’t cook so much for my family and all of the picky eaters in it than I could probably devote an entire blog to thinking up ways to use berries. For real.
We have an abundance of fruit and berries coming into season right now in our area. I’ve never lived where there were so many varieties grown fresh all at one time and I’ve never tasted such amazing fruits before. I swear, it’s like candy, only it’s good for you.
Anyway, I never have trouble finding ways to use strawberries but I have been dying to make salsa with them. Of course, if you make salsa then you’re going to need something to put it on.
I made these super easy shredded chicken tacos the other night with this strawberry mango salsa and it was amazing. You seriously need to try them.
When I say easy I mean like really easy. We eat rotisserie chickens in one form or another at least once a week and this is one of my favorite ways to use the meat because everyone can customize their own taco with what they like and no one complains (well, most of the time).
Can you tell that I am really wanting to keep this short? I wrote an entire recipe out earlier only to have it disappear for no apparent reason which means I have to write it all over again. Don’t you hate when that happens? Writing recipes is not something I get over-thrilled about. It’s definitely not my favorite part of blogging. Just sayin.
It’s worth it though because I really want to share these with you guys. Honestly, it’s more of a guideline/inspiration than a recipe because tacos are something that you have to make to your taste. I added stuff that I had on hand but you can throw anything you want on these. Just don’t skip out on the salsa. It’s a must.
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, chopped
- 2 medium mangos, peeled, pitted, and chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 jalepeno, seeded and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- juice from 1 lime
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup whole kernal corn
- 1 cup shredded cheese of choice (I used white cheddar)
- 1 cup your favorite lettuce, shredded
- 8-10 flour tortillas (I make my own with this recipe.Just ignore the horrible photos)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and wrap 4 or 5 in foil packets; place on baking tray.
- While oven is heating chop and prep all of your toppings and make salsa by mixing all ingredients for salsa in a medium bowl.
- In a medium skillet, saute onion and garlic with oil over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes until softened. Add chicken, cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper then reduce heat to simmer and cover to keep warm.
- When oven is hot place tortillas inside for 15 to 20 minutes or until warm.
- To assemble tacos, layer warm tortillas with lettuce, chicken mixture, black beans, corn, cheese, and top with sour cream and salsa.
- Serve immediately.