It’s time for some Friday food and to me that needs to be something awesome!
Um, is there such a thing as being too excited, and is there a word for it? ‘Cause that word would really apply to me right now. I’m like over-the-top psyched about this one you guys! It’s probably my favorite pizza EVER! I mean did you read the title? Did you see it! That’s right, it’s on an everything bagel crust!
I don’t even know when I got this idea, seriously. I was making a bunch of pizzas a few days ago, like I do almost every week, and I realized that it’s been way too long since my last pizza recipe post and that is just wrong. Clearly it was time to make a new flavor and it had to be awesome. It was a really rainy day and also, my blog happened to be experiencing a stupid hiccup and it was down for a little while. I was freaking out for a few minutes but I was trying not to go crazy about it so I decided to do something to take my mind off of it. Creating a revolutionary pizza seemed like a pretty good plan so I went with that.
I’ve wanted to make everything bagels recently and that was also on my list of possible distractions and somehow I ended up with everything bagel crust and I may have to do this for every pizza from now on. It was the bomb! I almost named this the everything everything pizza but my title was just getting too long, but that’s what it is. An everything bagel, every veggie, every color pizza that you just kind of want to stare at for hours because it’s so gorgeous.
As for the toppings, well, I actually cheated a little with the hummus because I used some of this hummus that I had in the fridge and the veggie choices were random at first until I realized how pretty all the colors were looking and I just kept adding. Honestly, I was amazed that I even got my first one to fit between the oven racks because it was so entirely piled with toppings. The blueberries were the last thing I added because I wanted a complete rainbow and they are one of the few naturally occurring blue foods and the only one I had on hand. I am so glad I added them because I think they are what really set this pizza over-the-top.
So, obviously you don’t have to use this exact mix of veggies. Use what you have and what you like and make this your own. I also put cheese on mine but that is optional and if you want these to be completely vegan than just skip it. Oh, and if you aren’t a big veggie fan than just skip the veggies and do a plain cheese or pepperoni pizza with typical red sauce and you’ll still have a killer pizza.
The only thing you can’t change is the crust because it’s epic. I mean, just imagine everything you love about a bagel mixed with everything you love about a pizza! You have to try it!
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups flour (I like to use part whole wheat)
- 1 tablespoon everything bagel seasoning (recipe follows)
- 1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon regular sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2 teaspoons dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup chipotle hummus
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (optional)
- 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 small carrot, shredded
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1/4 cup button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup whole kernal corn
- 1 small handful fresh basil
- 1 small handful fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
- Combine yeast, sugar, and water in a medium mixing bowl and let sit for about 5 minutes to let the yeast react. Add other ingredients and mix until it starts to form a dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 - 10 minutes. It should be smooth and resilient. Grease a medium bowl and place dough inside. Flip in bowl to cover all sides with oil and cover with towel or plastic wrap. Put in warm place to rise until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 450 F (230 C) Fill the largest and widest pot you have with about 8 inches of water and bring it to a boil. Divide dough in half and roll out each half into circles (about 10 inch) and carefully drop 1 at a time into the water and cook for about 45 seconds on each side. Use large spatulas or slotted spoons to gently lift it out and place in on a tray lined with a clean towel.
- Line 2 pizza pans with parchment and spray lightly with oil. Place crusts on trays and sprinkle everything bagel seasoning around the edges. Bake for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and reduce heat to 350 F (180 C). Spread on hummus, then top with cheese (if desired), and layer with everything else except basil, cilantro, and blueberries. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until toppings and edges are browned.
- Remove from oven and immediately top with basil, cilantro, and berries to stick them to the cheese. Allow it to cool for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing and serving