I am excited and a little nervous today because I am going to take my driver’s test, Yay! I love driving! I love knowing that I can jump into a car and drive wherever I need/want to go. It’s such a cool feeling and it’s so liberating. Hopefully I don’t completely fail my test, which is not altogether impossible for me, but I have done much stupider things in my life. Wish me luck. Okay, about these cupcakes. These are a pancake lover’s dream dessert. No, seriously, these are like eating a pecan pancake in a muffin shape with frosting on it. If you have ever been on my blog then you may know that my family and I have been desperately missing maple because it is unavailable in Chile. I’m not talking about Mrs. Butterworth’s or any other brand that is basically maple flavored corn syrup. You can sometimes find that in the bigger stores where it is imported from the U.S. I am talking about the real stuff. Pure maple syrup straight out of the tree. We really miss it and that is what inspired this recipe. Since we have been here I have also found pure maple extract at the local health food store and it is perfect for adding that extra punch of maple flavor to this recipe. What is it about maple that makes you feel so warm and fuzzy when you smell it? I don’t know but it is awesome. Pecans are also unavailable down in Chile so they fit perfectly with the maple syrup into this recipe. They are optional but I recommend them. My family is full of nut haters so I had to do make most of them without. What a shame, I know. They have no idea what they are missing!
- 1/4 cup (1.2 stick) butter, melted
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat or Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 7 - 8 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons half & half
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure maple extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- chopped pecans
- pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C). For cupcakes, stir butter, sugar, oil, and syrup together in medium mixing bowl. Beat in eggs, then add milk and yogurt. Mix in vanilla, salt, baking powder, and flour. Line a cupcake pan with paper liners or grease and flour very well. Pour batter into cups and fill each about 3/4 full. Bake for 18 - 22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool before frosting.
- For the frosting, use a stand or handheld mixer to whip butter until fluffy. Add 3 1/2 cups of powdered sugar one cup at a time. Whip in all other ingredients until smooth. If it seems too soft add a little more powdered sugar until it is thick enough to frost cupcakes.
- To assemble fit a pastry bag with a large mouthed tip and fill with frosting. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes. Sprinkle with pecans and drizzle with syrup if desired.