I am going to tell you a very short story. Shortly before I left the States I fell in love. It was nothing too serious but it had potential. We met at a dinner in my aunt and uncles house and I was head over heals immediately. The problem was that it could never work out between us. I was moving out of the country and my new love was staying behind. We were forced to say goodbye. That was the last time we saw each other. The name of my lover, Trader Joe’s Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce. I decided that if we couldn’t be together I would have to find a replacement.
If you shop at TJ’s and have ever had this sauce then you may understand my obsession. It is like the lovechild of BBQ sauce and honey mustard. It is fairly simple to make, but WOW is it good. My copycat version is not quite as golden as TJ’s but who cares, it tastes like gold.
I know I haven’t posted in a few days but I have a good excuse. I had a very hectic weekend. Friday was my teenage brother’s fifteenth birthday and I made him one of his favorite dinners, cheesy potatoes and pork. Then I made one of his favorite desserts, Glazed Chocolate Chunk Scones. On Saturday, I handmade, rolled out, and cooked dozens of tortillas. Then I made refried beans from scratch, did a bunch of laundry and dishes, got soaked in the rain while riding my bike, and made two separate carrot cakes; one diabetic and one not so diabetic. Sunday we had a group of friends over for a taco lunch. This was something new to many of them and we had to demonstrate how to properly pick up and devour a taco. That was pretty entertaining in my opinion. It is unbelievable how many dishes you dirty for a party.
As you can see, I was a little tied up. However I was determined to do a post today. In my attempts for the perfect sauce I used a bunch of ingredients and made a giant mess (like usual), so then I had a vat of copycat Carolina Gold BBQ Sauce. Of course, then I had to make something yummy with it. Like I said before, we have dozens of tortillas. Hence these quesadillas. Sauce + tortillas + chicken + chipotle peppers + pineapple salsa = Amazing!
These are a must try. Seriously, they are so packed full of different flavors. You may fall in love too.
- 2 cups fresh pineapple chunks, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, finely chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup mustard
- 1 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 tablespoons worchestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (7 oz. or 220g) can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheese of choice
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 16 small flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons butter
- For Pineapple Salsa: Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and stir together.
- For The Golden BBQ Sauce: Whisk all ingredients together in a medium bowl. Pour into medium saucepan and bring to a soft boil over low heat. Simmer until thick, stirring occasionally.
- To Assemble Quesadillas: Mix chicken with 1 cup of sauce and chipotle peppers (you can use less peppers if you don't want it too spicy). Spread on half of the tortillas and top each with 1/4 cup of cheese. Top with other half of tortillas.
- In medium skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter. Place quesadillas one at a time on skillet and cook on each side about 1 minute until cheese is melted and tortilla starts to brown.
- Serve with pineapple salsa and extra sauce.