I’ve just been really in the mood for apples recently, which doesn’t make since because it’s not apple season anywhere and we’ve actually had a hard time finding apples in the last few weeks.
It’s that darn human nature thing. You know, wanting what you can’t have. We had a week or two when there were no apples available and I was basically having withdrawals. I’m an apple-a-day person. Not that I have a fear of doctors or anything, I just really like apples.
So while I was pining for some good apples I had this flavor idea for a pizza covered with them….and some cheddar. And what goes better with cheddar cheese than bacon? It’s really a simple recipe but the magic comes in when you add a touch of cinnamon and sugar to the mix.
First of all, there is bacon. Oh glorious bacon, how we all love that smell. (Am I the only one who is clueless as to why no one has come up with a bacon perfume. Hello, that would sell like crazy!) Bacon is the essence of comfort and happiness and it is so commonly paired with sweet breakfast foods, many of which are coated in a generous amount of cinnamon and sugar i.e. french toast.
Okay, so bacon goes great with cinnamon and sugar and everyone knows that apples do too so what’s left is the cheddar. Cheddar is just one step off from cream cheese in my opinion. It’s just a little sharper, but we all know that cream cheese is good with anything sweet or savory so what’s the deal?
Wow, now I’ve put way too much emphasis on the cinnamon and sugar and I so didn’t mean to. Seriously, you can skip it if you want and this pizza is still going to rock your world. However, my theory is that the hint of warm and comforting flavors hits home with your subconscience and makes you twice as happy as you would be otherwise.
You decide. All that really matters is that you make this as soon as humanly possible!
- recipe for 1 pizza crust (I used my favorite)
- 8 slices uncooked bacon
- 1/2 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 apples, cored and sliced
- salt & pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 C) and cook bacon until crispy. Remove to paper towels and add onions and garlic to pan and saute for 2 to 3 minutes until soft. Add apples, salt and pepper to taste, cinnamon, and sugar, and cook for 4 to 5 more minutes until apples are soft. Remove from heat and add cream.
- Roll the dough into a large circle and place on a pan dusted with cornmeal. Pour contents of pan onto dough and sread into an even layer. Top with cheese and crumbled bacon and bake for 25 - 35 minutes or until edges are browned and cheese is well melted.
- Slice and serve hot!