I mean, I dreamed about some chick with a helicopter jetpack in my kitchen, go figure. Sometimes it’s easy for me to figure out why I dreamed something based on what I’ve done all week, but this time I am truly clueless.
I don’t know about you, but my particular brand of humor would make it really hard for me not to laugh in someone’s face if I heard that they paid a shrink to breakdown what their dreams meant for them. I’d keep my cool, but I’d secretly be thinking “Sorry, but I don’t need a PhD to tell me what my dreams meant, thank you very much.”
For example, if you dream about being chased by a cannibalistic sumo wrestler with really big hair (I really dreamed this once), then you’re probably just craving sushi and watching too many 80’s movies.
Or if you are dreaming about having your arm eaten by a shark because your legs won’t move so you can swim away (didn’t dream this one but someone probably has), then clearly you just heard about Bethany Hamilton’s new baby and should reconsider those skinny jeans.
I actually do have a point that I’m getting to. The reason I’m talking about dreams is that this recipe, it literally was inspired by my sister’s dream about eating it. Not kidding. This happened a lot while she was preggers but she’ll still periodically tell me things that she dreamed about and wants me to make. Her sleeping mind is one of my favorite sources of inspiration. It’s awesome.
Anyway, this recipe is definitely the kind that you will dream about because, hello, bacon+potatoes+apples! It’s like the ultimate in cozy comfort food. Okay, I know it’s more of a fall/winter recipe and those of you on the top of the planet are thinking it’s weird to post this so close to the 4th of July but for all of us south of the equator it’s really starting to get chilly and food like this is the perfect way to stay warm.
Luckily apples are pretty easy to get year-round wherever you are so you can make this all year long.
- 6 large potatoes, washed and cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound thick-cut bacon
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 5 medium apples (peeled, cored, and cut into small chunks)
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon sage
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 C) and line an oven tray with foil. Toss potatoes and oil in a large bowl to coat, then spread out on pan and bake for about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and turn potatoes then bake for another 8 to 10 minutes until tender and slightly browned. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Cut bacon into small pieces and add it to a large skillet (be sure to wash any tools and surfaces that you use very well). Saute bacon for 3 to 4 minutes over medium heat until starting to crisp. Add onions and apples to pan and cook for about 5 minutes longer until apples are fork tender.
- Add potatoes, spices, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 5 minutes until potatoes are crispy. Serve hot.